Rise Up Times Welcomes You!
Media for the people!
The people yes. The people will live on. …
In the darkness with a great bundle of grief the people march.
In the night, and overhead a shovel of stars for keeps, the people
“Where to? what next?”
When I read this excerpt from Carl Sandburg’s poem The People Yes, I think of Howard Zinn and his book about people’s movements, A People’s History of the United States. He is another whose words still guide us, along with Arundhati Roy, who said,
Another world is not only possible, she is on her way
On a quiet day I can hear her breathing.
As we move into the post-election holiday season with four years of necessary activism ahead of us in an unseen and unpredictable future, it is all the more crucial to share information and ideas around activism and the issues that matter to us and to understand what is happening in other parts of the country and the world.
Rise Up Times brings you critical analysis and perspectives you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media, news of activism and resistance, and thoughtful, cutting edge articles about current issues with insightful commentary and crucial information for these Rise Up Times. To survive, Rise Up Times needs your help.
Here is a link to the portfolio page on Nonviolent Organizing for Action and Change, just one example of the information provided on Rise Up Times that is essential as we move forward into the next four years of a Trump presidency. This link appears at the top of the RiseUpTimes.org website and includes information about articles and books by experienced activists on nonviolent organizing from politics to civil resistance to civil disobedience.
Several of pieces of advice I have gotten over the years I consider necessary to being an engaged activist. The first is to not spread yourself too thin and try to do everything (and there’s a lot to do!). That leads to burnout. Instead choose an issue or two to give dedicated work and time to, supporting other issues of interest and importance as you can. The second also is about burnout. Take care of yourself: take time to rest, recenter, recuperate. You’ll be more effective in the long run if you do. Finally, “And don’t forget to have fun!” as Molly Ivins strongly advises!
Your help is needed more than ever to continue to bring you the same quality articles, news, commentary, and analysis and perspectives in Rise Up Times that you have come to expect. Here are some ways to help Rise Up Times bring you an alternative to the mainstream corporate media.
Support Rise Up Times by making a donation. Your support is essential and appreciated.
Donate Now. Just click here to help sustain Rise Up Times through Paypal. (You do not need to be a Pay Pal member.)
If you wish to mail a check please make payable to Sue Ann Martinson/RiseUpTimes and send to 2900 11th Ave. So., Unit Box 209, Minneapolis MN 55407.
Every dollar will help support Rise Up Times for computer expenses, internet and blog services, and miscellaneous office expenses, the many things that go into bringing Rise Up Times to you.
Why Rise Up Times? The name Rise Up Times was chosen because these are the times to Rise Up and be heard. “Times” refers not only to the Times we live in but, as you know, is also a common name for newspapers and other media.
7 ways to help spread the word about RiseUpTimes.org
Rise Up Times has no paid advertising but relies on word-of-mouth and social media to get the word out. Here are some ideas about how to help:
- Tell your friends about Rise Up Times.
- Forward articles, songs, or visuals to your friends and family and encourage them to:
1) Subscribe: Enter your email in the place provided in the right column of the main Rise Up Times page. You will receive an email notice when blogs are posted.
2) Sign up for the weekly summary: Type “Subscribe weekly summary” in the subject line of an email and send to email@example.com. You will receive a regular summary of posts.
- Include a link to RiseUpTimes.org on your website or in your emails.
- Re-publish, re-blog, re-post, or share articles, songs or visuals that you particularly like on your own blog Facebook page, Twitter, or other social media.
- Rise Up Times has the following accounts besides the main blog (RiseUpTimes.org): Visit, and encourage your friends to visit, the RiseUpTimes Facebook! page or the Tumblr, Linked In, Pinterest, or Google+ RiseUpTimes pages. Articles can also be shared from these social media, as well as from RiseUpTimes.org.
- Retweet from Rise Up Times Twitter account, @touchpeace.
- Print copies of articles or visuals in Rise Up Times and leave them in your favorite bookstore, coffee shop, etc.
Thank you! Your continued support makes a difference.
Sue Ann Martinson, Editor
P.S. Your contribution will ensure that Rise Up Times can continue to bring you Media for the People! with insightful and vital alternatives to the mainstream corporate media.
“Resistance is no longer an option, it is a necessity.” Henry A. Giroux
“There is no such thing as a single-issue struggle because we do not live
single-issue lives.” Audre Lorde