A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
- Oliver Stone Rages Against The Deep State’s “Wonderful Job Of Throwing America Into Chaos”
- Henry Giroux | Shutting Down American-Style Authoritarianism
- Threats to World Peace and America’s Imperial Wars: Syria, Afghanistan, North Korea
- Young Muslim Collective | Decoding Radicalization
- Alan Maki | Climate change and the military-industrial complex
- The Intercept | Trial and Terror
- Ajamu Baraka A Renewed Peace Movement Is the Antidote to Misguided Black Politicians
- As U.S. Preps Arrest Warrant for Assange, Glenn Greenwald Says Prosecuting WikiLeaks Threatens Press Freedom for All
- Kathy Kelly | From Yemen to Iran, Syria and Iraq to the Horn of Africa, imperialism is on the march.
- NYT Mocks Skepticism on Syria-Sarin Claims
- The Nation | Building a New Movement Against Militarism
- From Drone Strikes to MOAB: The Strategically Silenced
- ICIJ | The Panama Papers
- Stop Endless War • Build for Peace! • Memorial Day in D.C. | Veterans for Peace
- Corporations are working with the Department of Commerce to eliminate the few but significant labor and environmental protections . . .
- Chris Hedges, On Contact: The Uncivil War on Syria with Max Blumenthal and Ben Norton
- John Pilger on nuclear war, Russia and The Last Poets (Video)
- Easter Greetings
- Small Acts Transform the World
- No more presidents: protesting the Trump inauguration (Video)
- Ann Wright and Marie Braun speak on KFAI Radio: Military Madness, Ban Nuclear Weapons
- The Orwellian-Octopus of the Entrenched-Interests Media
- Frieda Berrigan | Why Tax Resistance Under Trump Needs Its Antiwar Edge
- A Multi-Level Analysis of the US Cruise Missile Attack on Syria and Its Consequences
- ‘The Only Sensible Path at This Point is Dialogue’ Hyun Lee
Search Rise Up Times
Join Rise Up Times on Social Media
Subscribe or “Follow” us on RiseUpTimes.org. Rise Up Times is also on Facebook! Check the Rise Up Times page for posts from this blog and more! “Like” our page today. Find us on TWITTER at Rise Up Times(@touchpeace). Rise Up Times is on Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr.
US Presidential Election posts are on a Rise Up Times US Politics Pinterest board along with boards on Surveillance, Environment/Climate Change, Action Now, and The Drone Papers.
BAN NUCLEAR WEAPONS ICANW.ORG Click on the image to join WAMM’s campaign
World Beyond War: Sign the pledge, take action
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.