A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
- Chris Hedges: The Enemy Is Not Donald Trump or Steve Bannon—It Is Corporate Power (Video)
- Evergreene Digest | How US nuclear force modernization is undermining strategic stability: The burst-height compensating super-fuze
- Robert Reich | The Theme That Unites All Trump’s Initiatives Is Cruelty
- Jeremy Scahill’s Intercepted: Snowden vs. Trump
- Henry A. Giroux | Trump’s War on Dangerous Memory and Critical Thought
- John Laforge | US Citizens To Join Protests Of US Nuclear Weapons Deployed In Germany
- Learning From Civil Resistance Around The World
- Robert Parry | The Missing Logic of Russia-gate
- Joseph Gerson | The Peace Movement and Resistance in Dark Times
- Learning to See in the Dark Amid Catastrophe: An Interview With Deep Ecologist Joanna Macy
- Flowers and Zeese | Visions For The Future
- Henry Giroux | The Hardening of Society and the Rise of Cultures of Cruelty in Neo-Fascist America
- William Boardman | What War Are We Buying With Another $58 Billion for the Military?
- Minnesota Churches Face Tough Questions in Offering Sanctuary to Immigrants
- Sarah van Gelder | The Revolution Where You Live: Stories from a 12,000 Mile Journey Through a New America
- Flowers and Zeese | The Propaganda Of War
- Susu Jeffrey | An Exercise in Pretend Democracy: The Alberta Pipeline
- John Kiriakou | The Deep State, Donald Trump and Us
- ANTI-PROTEST BILLS IN MN LEGISLATURE: ACTIONS FOR MINNESOTA ACTIVISTS
- Footage in Documentary Prompts New Questions About Shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson (Video)
- Chris Hedges | The Dance of Death
- Chris Hedges Discusses Resistance in the Age of Trump With Kevin Zeese (Video)
- Rebecca Gordon | American Carnage: Fighting the Forever War
- RiseUpTimes Portfolios: Resist!, Environment/Climate Change, International, Trump Presidency, Media, Middle East, Nonviolent Organizing, Military Mania, Ukraine
- Traci Yoder | New Anti-Protesting Legislation: A Deeper Look
Search Rise Up Times
Join Rise Up Times on Social Media
Subscribe or “Follow” us on RiseUpTimes.org. Rise Up Times is also on Facebook! Check the Rise Up Times page for posts from this blog and more! “Like” our page today. Find us on TWITTER at Rise Up Times(@touchpeace). Rise Up Times is on Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr.
US Presidential Election posts are on a Rise Up Times US Politics Pinterest board along with boards on Surveillance, Environment/Climate Change, Action Now, and The Drone Papers.
BAN NUCLEAR WEAPONS ICANW.ORG Click on the image.
Real Security Without Terrorism | Videos from DC: NO WAR 2016
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.