A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
- Whither the Anti-war Movement?
- After Trump’s Jerusalem Move, Media Worry About ‘Violence’–Not Violation of International Law
- Russia or Corporate Tax Cuts: Which Would Comcast Rather MSNBC Cover?
- Somalia deportations, MN immigration stories, and other immigration news
- Inside The Trial That Could Determine The Future Of Free Speech In America’s Capital
- The US Military Is the Biggest “Big Government” Entitlement Program on the Planet
- The Environmental Consequences of the Use of Armed Drones
- Polly Mann | The Rich Bombing and Starving Poor Yemen
- Take Action: Political Expression Is Not A Conspiracy
- The U.S. Media Yesterday Suffered its Most Humiliating Debacle in Ages: Now Refuses All Transparency Over What Happened by Glenn Greenwald
- Why Lawsuits Are Not Enough to Stop the Far Right
- Chris Hedges |”Fascism in the Age of Trump”
- Play the Peace Doves Game
- ACTION: Ban Nuclear Weapons!
- We Want Peace, Not War, with North Korea! —South Korean and Japanese Activists
- Polly Mann | Hunger Pangs in the Belly of the Beast
- J20 Defendants Face A Miscarriage of Justice
- From the Streets to the Citadels of Power: The Feminist Approach to Sexual Harassment
- Everyone is talking about Net Neutrality. Take action now.
- US Neocon Wars Open Pandora’s Box in Europe
- Ukraine on Fire | Full length video with Oliver Stone
- Chris Hedges | On Contact: Decline of the American empire with Alfred McCoy
- Google’s Eric Schmidt Admits Political Censorship Of Search Results
- On the Power of Mass Propaganda with Chris Hedges and Professor Stuart Ewen
- Tribal Leaders from USA and First Nation Chiefs from Canada: “Ruling in Nebraska will not pave the way for Keystone XL pipeline.
- Greg Palast | The Pig That Burst the Keystone Pipeline— and the Kochs
- Origins of the Russian “Media Threat” by Diana Johnstone
- The FCC is having a terrible month, and consumers will pay the price
- Barry Riesch | Vietnam: What have we learned?
- Edward S. Herman: Master of Dissent (1925–2017)
Search Rise Up Times
WAR AND THE ENVIRONMENT: VIDEOS FROM THE CONFERENCE
Video: Who Profits from War? Top 10 Largest Weapons Companies
Follow Rise Up Times on Social Media
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.