A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
Follow Rise Up Times on Social Media
- Green New Deal Advocates Should Address Militarism, by Medea Benjamin – Alice Slater
- Mainstream Media Assaults on Freedom of Speech. “The Truth” is No Longer “Important”
- “America First” in Latin America, by Gary Prevost
- Minneapolis Protests: NO TO WAR
- Freedom Rider: The Legacy of 1918, by Margaret Kimberley
- The Audacity of Struggle, by Ron Jacobs
- Winona LaDuke Calls for Indigenous-Led “Green New Deal” as She Fights Minnesota Pipeline Expansion
- Solving Our Climate Crisis: A Town Hall with Sen. Bernie Sanders, and more with Naomi Klein, Cenk (Young Turks), and the Humanist Report
- United | Playing For Change | Song Around the World
- Seeing Yemen from Jeju, by Kathy Kelly
- ‘It Is Time for Progressives of the World to Unite’: Sanders-Varoufakis Issue Open Call for New Global Movement
- “Wounds of War”: the VA health care system and why we all need it
- The Long, Brutal U.S. War on Children in the Middle East, by Kathy Kelly
- The Intercept: Climate Crisis with Naomi Klein and others, Live Town Hall
- Four Days in Occupied Western Sahara—A Rare Look Inside Africa’s Last Colony
- ‘Republicans Just Don’t Want All the Votes to Count’ Janine Jackson Interviews Ari Berman
- Yes to Peace, No to War: First International Conference Against US/NATO Military Bases
- International Conference Against US/NATO Military Bases, report by Roger Harris
- The Donald and the Fake News Media, by Tom Engelhardt
- The Biggest Threat to Free Speech No One Is Talking About, by Robert Reich
- Crucifying Julian Assange, by Chris Hedges
- Has America Gone Insane?
- Reclaiming Armistice Day: A Day to Perpetuate Peace
- Noam Chomsky: Trump and His Enablers Are ‘Criminally Insane’
- The Uber-Rich: Tyranny or Revolution, Scum vs. Scum, The Cult of Trump
- Freedom Rider: The Migrant Caravan and U.S. Policy, by Margaret Kimberley
- Violent Political Rhetoric Can Feed Political Violence, by Ed Kilgore
- Welcome to the Jungle, by Pepe Escobar
- 5 Ways New Movement Leaders Are Effecting Change, by Michael Silberman
Search Rise Up Times
VIDEO OF CONFERENCE NOW AVAILABLE: GLOBAL CAMPAIGN AGAINST US/NATO MILITARY BASES
A Call for a Mass Mobilization to Oppose NATO, War & Racism: Saturday, March 30, Washington DC and worldwide
RESIST! WITH RISE UP TIMES
Video: Who Profits from War? Top 10 Largest Weapons Companies. Click the image to view the video.
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.