A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
Follow Rise Up Times on Social Media
- Space Force: Stealing the Heavens for War, by Karl Grossman
- John Pilger: HOLD THE FRONT PAGE. THE REPORTERS ARE MISSING
- Ralph Nader: Questions, Questions Where are the Answers?
- Stop Killing and Dying in Afghanistan: Now More Than Ever, by David Swanson
- Peace Meal
- Aida Touma Suleiman speaks on Israel/Palestine at the Veterans for Peace Annual Convention
- On the Media: Facebook Censorship, “You Are the Product,” and the Global Internet and Copyright Directive
- Demonization of Russia in a New Cold War Era, by Mairead Maquire
- The Necessity of Moral Resistance in the Face of Militarism | Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II
- Polly Mann: Who is Biased?
- Tomgram: Engelhardt, History, Memory, and Donald Trump
- How to Organize a Ban Nuclear Weapons Campaign, State by State, by Marie Braun
- How the Empire Gets Away With Expanding (Some Observations)
- We Will Resist Trump’s Authoritarian War on the Media, by Mike Ludwig
- From Venezuela to McCain, Big Media and Human Rights Industry in Lockstep
- Jim Hightower: Corporations Are Waging All-Out Class War
- An Online Vigil in Defense of Julian Assange with Daniel Ellsberg, Craig Murray, Bill Binney and Ray McGovern
- Tomgram: Nick Turse, Victory in Our Time (The U.S. Military is Winning. No, Really, It Is!)
- Chris Hedges: The Slaves Rebel
- Aida Touma-Sliman: Israel’s New Apartheid Law
- Big Tech’s Dangerous Crackdown on Social Media, by Max Blumenthal and Abby Martin
- The Nationwide Prison Strike: Why It’s Happening and What It Means for Ending Mass Incarceration
- The Bad, Good, and Beautiful: War and Peace Posters, By David Swanson
- A Foreign Policy That Can Change Everything for Everyone
- Noam Chomsky: Media Obsession with Russia and the Stories Not Being Covered in the Trump Era
- The Empire Strikes! Regime Changes and Coups d’état
- Your Bedside Glossary About People and Other Essentials You Need to Know
- Challenging the institutional racism and violence in our law enforcement culture: A Not Guilty Verdict to celebrate
- You are invited to Join Veterans for Peace for their Annual Conference and Free Public Events in St. Paul
- Iran in the Crosshairs-Again! Soraya Sepahpour-Ulrich
Search Rise Up Times
10 Days Free From Violence September 21-30, 2018
JOIN US FOR THE SEPT. 15-23, 2018 CAMPAIGN NONVIOLENCE NATIONAL WEEK OF ACTIONS!
NO WAR 2018 | DESIGNING A WORLD BEYOND WAR, LEGALIZING PEACE, TORONTO, SEPTEMBER 21-22, 2018
JOIN THE GLOBAL CAMPAIGN AGAINST US/NATO MILITARY BASES
Women’s March on the Pentagon Oct. 20-21 2018
Video: Who Profits from War? Top 10 Largest Weapons Companies. Click the image to view the video.
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.