A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
Follow Rise Up Times on Social Media
- NATO’s Expensive Anniversaries, by Brian Coughley
- The Conflict of Our Time: U.S. Imperialism vs the Rule of Law, by Nicolas J S Davies
- Chelsea Manning and the New Inquisition, by Chris Hedges
- Creech Air Force Base protest this month; Streets of Plenty, peace song by Mark Rufo
- Inside the Secretive U.S. Air War in Somalia: How Many Civilians Have Died as Strikes Escalate?
- We need a New Green Foreign Policy to go with our New Green Deal, by Anne Winkler Morey
- Debate Over Labeling Omar Obscures Vital Debate on Israel/Palestine
- The Women Who Waged Peace Against a World War
- A Report on the First International Conference Against U.S./NATO Foreign Military Bases by Sue Ann Martinson, Sarah Martin, and Carol Walker
- Giving the Bomb to Saudi Arabia’s Dr. Strangelove, by Chris Hedges
- Tomgram: A Swiftian Modest Proposal for the President, Or How to Solve the Border and China Problems in One Swell Foop
- Message from President Maduro of Venezuela to the People of the United States
- Trump’s Withdrawal From the Iran Nuclear Deal Invites Disaster (Video), Chris Hedges with Scott Ritter
- The Nerve of Some (Anti-nuclear) People! by Polly Mann
- Nuclear Weapons: Who Has What at a Glance
- Why Fight? African Feminists Emphasize Key to Global Peace
- Hope in the Time of Trump, Yorkshire CND
- JOHN PILGER: The War on Venezuela is Built on Lies
- The Arms Trade Is Intensifying Under Trump, by Peter Castagno
- Everyone Has Fallen for the Lies About Venezuela, by Lee Camp
- How to Shift Power From the Police to the People, ACLU
- Juan Guaidó: The Man Who Would Be President of Venezuela Doesn’t Have a Constitutional Leg to Stand On
- NPR, the Pentagon, and U.S. Foreign Policy
- Sorting Through the Lies About Venezuela and US Military Presence in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Media Bits and Bytes, by Portside
- Goodbye to the Dollar, by Chris Hedges
- Militarism in the Media, World Beyond War
- Fighting for Justice: Why Cross-Movement Collaboration Is Essential, Center for Constitutional Rights
- State of the Media: How Congress Can Fix the Crisis
- The Truth About NATO, Redacted Tonight by Lee Camp
Search Rise Up Times
A Call for a Mass Mobilization to Oppose NATO, War & Racism: Saturday, March 30, Washington DC and worldwide
NO TO NATO YES TO PEACE FESTIVAL MARCH 30 TO APRIL 4, 2019, WASHINGON DC
RESIST! WITH RISE UP TIMES
VIDEO OF CONFERENCE NOW AVAILABLE: GLOBAL CAMPAIGN AGAINST US/NATO MILITARY BASES
Video: Who Profits from War? Top 10 Largest Weapons Companies. Click the image to view the video.
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.