A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
- Fascism Here We Come: the Rise of the Reactionary Right and the Collapse of “The Left”
- When Washington Decides Democracy Is Dangerous: Stoking Opposition in Venezuela and Syria
- Google Censors Block Access to CounterPunch and Other Progressive Sites
- We Have Been at War in Iraq for 27 Years by William Rivers Pitt
- Glenn Greenwald | The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
- MediaRevolt 101: Media Ownership with John MacDonald (Video)
- Racism and Colonization with Meleiza Figueroa at the Democracy Convention (Video)
- German Bombshell Bestseller Exposing CIA Media Control Blocked in US (Ulfkotte)
- Do Corporate Media Need to Lie to Promote Trade Deals?
- No More War (Music Video) and Action, North Korea
- Peace and Democracy Conference | Medea Benjamin, David Swanson, Leah Bolger, Norman Solomon
- Hurtling Toward ‘Fire and Fury’ by Jonathan Marshall
- Hyping the Threat from North Korea
- The Orwellian-Octopus of the Entrenched-Interests Media
- Pluralism vs. Authoritarianism: Gar Alperovitz with Laura Flanders
- Robert Koehler | Dancing with Fear
- Counterpunch: Police Anarchy and Technology and Criminal Justice
- Henry Giroux on a Politics of Cruelty Without Euphemisms (Audio)
- Sanctions Are Crimes, Not Law Enforcement by David Swanson
- Sara Olson | Apartheid for Palestinians
- That’s the Challenge! by Bruce Gagnon
- Collateral Damage: U.S. Sanctions Aimed at Russia Strike Western European Allies by Diana Johnstone
- The Deep State, Now and Then by Edward Curtain
- Empire of Destruction: Precision Warfare? Don’t Make Me Laugh
- Henry Giroux | A New American Revolution: Can We Break Out of Our Nation’s Culture of Cruelty?
- Outlawing War – Let St. Paul Know About the Kellogg-Briand Pact
- Trump’s Allies Are Taking Over the Media and Creating Their Own Reality
- Profit vs. Water: Copper-Nickel Mining in Minnesota
- Josh Rubner | Boycott Israel, Go to Jail? (Video/Transcript)
- Kathy Kelly | At Every Door
Search Rise Up Times
WAR AND MILITARISM September 22-24 Conference in Washington, D.C.
CAMPAIGN NONVIOLENCE WEEK OF ACTIONS 2017
Join Rise Up Times on Social Media
Subscribe or “Follow” us on RiseUpTimes.org. Rise Up Times is also on Facebook! Check the Rise Up Times page for posts from this blog and more! “Like” our page today. Find us on TWITTER at Rise Up Times(@touchpeace). Rise Up Times is on Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr.
Posts about the Trump presidency are on a board on Rise Up Times Pinterest page. Pinterest called Presidency. Other posts about US politics are under a US Politics board along with boards on Surveillance-Freedom of Speech-Civil Rights and Liberties, Media, Environment/Climate Change, Action Now, The Drone Papers, Military Mania, International, and Nonviolent Action and Organizing for Change
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.