A diatribe against the cultural decline in America also offers a way out
A review of America at War with Itself ~ Henry A. Giroux
Related: Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Related: Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’Shelley Walia, The Hindu
Hannah Arendt rightly declared that we are living in ‘dark times’ when there is a need to emphasise the value of education to the world that we engineer for future generations. “Education,” she said, “is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it and by the same token save it from ruin which, except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and young, would be inevitable. And education, too, is where we decide whether we love our children enough not to expel them from our world and leave them to their own devices, nor to strike from their hands their chance of undertaking something new, something unforeseen by us, but to prepare them in advance for the task of renewing a common world.”
It is in this context that Henry Giroux’s recent book America at War with Itself can be seen as a diatribe against the decline in cultural values in the U.S. and particularly the demise of revolutionary pedagogies that might give impetus to radicalism endangering the status quo. The sharp shift in American culture is apparently more towards abusive forms of power visible in predatory capitalism, citizen surveillance, domestic violence, gun-massacres by school children, and a deeply post-truth scenario of true lies and misrepresentation.
Shelley Walia is Former Professor at the Department of English and Cultural Studies, and presently, Fellow at Panjab University, Chandigarh.
To learn more about Rise Up Times and support
Media for the People! with a donation click here.
Table of Contents, Foreword, and the First Chapter from America at War with Itself
Will Americans Submit to Despotism in an Urge to ‘Escape from Freedom’? Conor Lynch, Salon / AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org>
The pioneering psychologist explained the rise of Hitler with an analysis that seems way too relevant now.
Erich Fromm Saw It Coming.
Related: Most People Today Want to be Propagandized
Media for the People! Click the image to help Rise Up Times continue to bring you vital analysis of and commentary about current issues you won’t find in the mainstream corporate media.
- Michael Moore | My Proposal to Repeal and Replace the 2nd Amendment
- Tomgram: Andrew Bacevich, How We Learned Not To Care About America’s Wars
- Tomgram: Nick Turse, A Disappearance, a Body, and What It Takes to Make the News
- Elites ‘Have No Credibility Left:’ Interview With Journalist Chris Hedges
- Guns Before Country | Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill
- Tomgram: Noam Chomsky and David Barsamian, A World in Peril
- Perspectives on the Burns/Novick Vietnam series by a member of the MN 8 draft resisters
- Learning to Live in the Dark: Reading Arendt in the Time of Climate Change
- Author Mark Bray Responds to Chris Hedges’ Criticism of Antifa (Video)
- Henry A. Giroux | Donald Trump’s passion for cruelty
- War and the Environment | Divestment from fossil fuels and weapons with Jonathan King, Susi Snyder, Terry Crawford-Browne, Tony Jenkins (Video)
- World hunger increasing for first time since turn of the century
- Puerto Ricans Protest Trump’s Visit, Denounce Militarization Amid Lack of Aid Distribution (Video)
- Susu Jeffrey | An Exercise in Pretend Democracy: The Alberta Pipeline
- Ray McGovern, David Swanson, and Daniel Ellsberg discuss Stone’s “Johnson, Nixon & Vietnam: Reversal of Fortune”
- War and the Environment | No War 2017: Emma’s Revolution Sings (Video)
- Gandhi’s Truth: Ending Human Violence One Commitment at a Time
- Racism and Colonization with Meleiza Figueroa at the Democracy Convention (Video)
- International Day of Non-Violence 2 October
- War and the Environment | Edward Snowden, Daniel Ellsberg (by video), Ann Wright and more (Video)
- Chris Hedges | The Abuses of History
- War and the Environment | No War 2017: David Swanson, Jill Stein, Tim DeChristopher, Conference Opening (Video)
- After Russian-linked ads, put social media under the microscope
- Polly Mann | Nuclear Notes and A THAAD Story
- Trump: Behind your back and in your backyard 2
- Young Women from Mosul Describe Life Under Terror and ISIS
- Ralph Nader | The Censorious Vortex Of The ‘Flash News’ Barons
- Rise Up Times Weekly Summary September 24, 2017
- Chris Hedges | The Silencing of Dissent
- In America, Justice for Victims of Police Brutality Remains Elusive Sonali Kolhatkar
Search Rise Up Times
WAR AND THE ENVIRONMENT: VIDEOS FROM THE CONFERENCE
KEEP SPACE FOR PEACE WEEK, OCTOBER 7-14, 2017
Join Rise Up Times on Social Media
Subscribe or “Follow” us on RiseUpTimes.org. Rise Up Times is also on Facebook! Check the Rise Up Times page for posts from this blog and more! “Like” our page today. Find us on TWITTER at Rise Up Times(@touchpeace). Rise Up Times is on Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr.
Posts about the Trump presidency are on a board on Rise Up Times Pinterest page. Pinterest called Presidency. Other posts about US politics are under a US Politics board along with boards on Surveillance-Freedom of Speech-Civil Rights and Liberties, Media, Environment/Climate Change, Action Now, The Drone Papers, Military Mania, International, and Nonviolent Action and Organizing for Change
Black Lives Matter
Read by Category.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.