- As we’ve covered in previous newsletters, there are now academic studies that demonstrate the lack of democracy in the US and that the government functions as a plutocracy that represents the needs and wishes of the wealthy elite. At the same time that the government is dysfunctional, we are experiencing multiple crises that demand immediate action.
- The Fix Is In; The Revolution Is Coming
- Thomas Paine, Our Contemporary
Margaret Flowers and Kevin Zeese, Popular Resistance
July 11th, 2014 | Last week, we wrote about Independence Day and the importance of examining that revolutionary period and the state of affairs today more deeply. The Declaration of Independence states that when a government does not support the rights and needs of the people, then
“it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”
Subscribe or “Follow” us on RiseUpTimes.org. Rise Up Times is also on Facebook! Check the Rise Up Times page for posts from this blog and more! “Like” our page today. Rise Up Times is also on Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr. Find us on Twitter at Rise Up Times (@touchpeace).
Margaret Flowers and Kevin Zeese are participants in Popular Resistance, an online daily news and information service for people who want to play a role in improving the country, creating economic and social justice as well as to protect the environment. They also co-direct It’s Our Economy and are co-hosts of Clearing the FOG, shown on UStream TV and heard on radio.
- Don’t count on Obama to save anything except the ACA from the chopping block. He will explain how he “Had to do it” in order to get a deal from the Republican Party that doesn’t even have a leg to stand on. The fix is in folks and it will be you and I that pay the heavy price, and it is you and I that will see the eventual bloodshed that will result.
- The Shutdown, the Showdown, and the Urgent Need To Repolarize… For Revolution
- The right’s sinister new plot against pensions
- You Cut Social Security, You Should Leave Congress
- Thomas Paine is America’s one great revolutionary theorist. Paine’s brilliance as a writer—his essay “Common Sense” is one of the finest pieces of rhetorical writing in the English language—is matched by his clear and unsentimental understanding of British imperial power. No revolutionist can challenge power if he or she does not grasp how power works.
- Chris Hedges | The Rules of Revolt